Attention: Please read the following important notices for upcoming changes in the Building Department!
The new "Affidavit in Lieu Of Certified Site Or Plot Plan for projects 500 square feet or less" in effect as of July 1, 2022. The document can be found in Building Forms, please read carefully and follow the instructions on the document.
View Affidavit Document and Instructions (PDF) to see if your project qualifies.
All Building Permit Fees except Tents and Signs will now be based on Estimated Contract Cost, all minimum fees will remain the same. This change is part of the new modifications to the online permitting system to make it more consistent.
The purpose of the Department of Inspectional Services is to insure public safety, health and welfare insofar as they are affected by building construction, use and occupancy. The Inspectional Services Department is responsible for the administration of the State Building, Electrical, Plumbing and Gas and Mechanical Codes. These responsibilities also encompass the interpretation and the enforcement of all Zoning By-laws and some General By-laws.
All construction and use related permits are issued through this office. The permitting process starts with an application followed by a review time, and then the issuance of the permit. Once the permit has been issued inspections are done by various applicable inspectors, once all inspections have been successfully completed a Certificate of Completion or Occupancy can be issued.
- Affidavit In Lieu of Certified Site Or Plot Plan (PDF)
- Application for Permit to do Gasfitting (PDF)
- Application for Permit to do Plumbing (PDF)
- Application for Permit to Perform Electrical Work (PDF)
- AWC Guide to Wood Construction in High Wind Areas 110 Miles per Hour Wind Zone MA Checklist for Compliance (PDF)
- Final Construction Control Document 9th Edition (PDF)
- Initial Construction Control Document 9th Edition (PDF)
- Special Permit for Phased Approval (PDF)
- Workers Comp Affidavit Form (PDF)
- Zoning setbacks, Frontage Area Chart (PDF)