Rules & Fees
The following rules shall be observed in the use of library meeting rooms:
- All meetings, for which there is no rental charge, must be open to the public.
- Groups using meeting rooms may arrange the available tables and chairs as they choose, provided that all pieces of furniture are returned to their original positions at the close of the meeting or event. Furniture may not be moved into or out of the meeting room.
- Groups are responsible for cleaning up the kitchen after use.
- Groups will be billed for any damage to rooms or equipment used in the course of the meetings. Repeated incidents of danger may lead to loss of a group's ability to use the room.
- Groups using the meeting rooms shall ensure that the maximum capacity of each meeting room used is not exceeded.
- Groups, at their own expense, shall procure any license or permit necessary for the conduct of their meeting or event. Alcohol is only allowed with a permit from the Town of Dartmouth.
- No outside group, organization or individual using a library meeting room shall charge an admission fee or engage in fundraising activities, except those groups that arrange to do so in support of the library or Town of Dartmouth programs and activities, at the discretion of the Library Director.
- If, in the opinion of the Library Director, the presence of a police officer is advisable, the group using the facilities will hire one (or more) at its own expense.
- An appropriate number of adult sponsors must accompany groups of high school age and younger children.
- The name, address, and/or phone number of the Dartmouth Public Libraries may not be used as the official address or headquarters of organizations using library meeting rooms. In issuing posters, press releases or other publicity, groups may not state nor imply that their programs are sponsored, co-sponsored or approved by the Dartmouth Public Libraries.
- The Town of Dartmouth, Dartmouth Public Libraries, its Board of Trustees, the Library Director or employees assume no responsibility for the loss, theft or damage of any property of any group, individual or organization using library facilities.
- Groups using meeting rooms agree to indemnify and hold harmless the Town of Dartmouth, Dartmouth Public Libraries, and their employees, officers, agents and representatives, from any and all suits, actions, claims, or demands of any nature arising out of or brought on account of any injuries or damages sustained by any person as a consequence or result of the use of the room, its furnishings or its equipment.
- Regular library service must take precedence over all other activities, and the use of meeting space must not interfere with the operation of the library. Groups using meeting rooms may be asked to refrain from using the library parking lot so that library patrons have unimpeded access to library parking.
Exceptions to this policy may be made at the discretion of the Board of Library Trustees as it deems in the best interest of the library and the community.
Hourly fees for the meeting rooms will be charged as indicated below:
- Non-profit groups and organizations affiliated with the library - no charge
- Town departments, boards and committees - no charge
- Non-profit groups during regular library hours - no charge
- Non-profit groups beyond regular North Branch Library hours - no charge
- For-profit groups during regular library hours - $50 per hour
- For-profit groups beyond regular North Branch Library hours - $50 per hour for North Branch
Rental fees will be billed. Fees may be paid by check made out to Town of Dartmouth. Fees may not be charged by the groups themselves when using Library meeting rooms. If the group incurs costs due to hiring a speaker, or giving materials to be taken home, these fees may be charged up to the cost of the materials or the cost of the speaker. This must be approved by the Library before the expense is incurred.