Support the Friends of the Dartmouth Libraries by shopping at Amazonsmile. Amazon will send the Friends 0.5% of the purchase price on eligible items. Go to smile.amazon.com and click on the drop down menu to choose your charity.
Who We Are
The Friends of the Dartmouth Libraries (FODL) is a non-profit volunteer organization dedicated to enhancing the quality of our libraries by funding a wide range of cultural, educational, social and well-being programs for Dartmouth residents of all ages. The Friends' mission is to "focus attention on Library resources, services, facilities and needs to provide community support of the Library." Major fundraising activities are the annual membership drive, the semi-annual book sales, and the ongoing book sale in the Southworth Library.
Book Donations: Because of Coronavirus concerns, The Friends of the Dartmouth Libraries are not accepting donations of books, puzzles, CDs, or DVDs. These materials are not to be dropped off at the library when it opens.
Recently, the Friends supplemented their regular financial support with a gift of $25,000 in support of the new North Branch of the Dartmouth Public Library. The Children’s Room of the new branch will be named for the Friends of the Dartmouth Libraries.
What We Do
The Friends provide funding for popular programs for Dartmouth residents such as:
- The annual Molly Little Winter Art Film Series
- Educational and cultural programs for adults
- Reading, craft, and entertainment programs for children and young adults throughout the year
- The annual museum day trip for Friends members
- Summer reading and movie programs
- The “Patrons Select” book collection which provides extra copies of popular books for patrons
- Free and reduced-price admission to over 17 area museums, parks and zoos (a complete list of passes is available on the Library website)
- Library “Hospitality Funds” and the annual Library staff appreciation luncheon
The Friends of the Dartmouth Libraries Board is made up of members of the community, the Director of the Dartmouth Libraries, and a representative of the Library Board of Trustees. Meetings are typically held on the first Tuesday of the month at 9:30 a.m. in the Southworth Library Meeting Room.
How You Can Help
Become a Member. Make a Donation.
Members receive early notice of all scheduled programs and events sponsored by the Friends and enjoy Members Only Night at the book sales. Memberships run from January 1-December 31. To become a member, to renew your membership, or to donate to the Friends, download an application form or pick one up at the Library.
- Individual Membership – $15.00/year
- Family Membership – $25.00/year
- Special Friend – $50
- Lifetime Membership - $125 (one person; one-time payment)
Because of Coronavirus concerns, the Spring Book Sale that would have happened in April was canceled. When the library is open again, the continuing book sales inside the library will continue.